Community

Non-Profit Startup Stay Together Furever Aims to Reduce the Number of Pets in Local Animal Shelters

Published

on

Vicki Chin and one of her first “foster fails,” Jimmy

Our pets are our family, and sometimes families fall on hard times, which often means furry friends tragically end up at local rescue centers or shelters. These heart-breaking surrenders are usually due to circumstances beyond the owner’s control.

But what if a pet safety net fostering program could provide short-term support and reunite families with their pets once they are back on their feet?

That’s what Vicki Chin thought when she had the idea for Stay Together Furever (STF), a non-profit startup launched in October 2023 that focuses on helping lower-income and fixed-income families facing a life crisis retain possession of their beloved pets.

From left, Karen Bates (STF Chief Financial Officer) and Vicki Chin at a 2023 benefit gala

“I got started in dog rescue in 2007 and have served in numerous volunteer roles over the years, first with Small Dog Rescue and then Angels Among Us Pet Rescue,” said Chin. “In that time, I have fostered over 80 dogs, most of which were rescued from local animal shelters. Most recently, I served on the board of directors for Angels.”

“The idea for Stay Together Furever came about unexpectedly in July 2023 when a friend and director of a local community charity contacted me to inquire about temporary help for two cats whose elderly owner was being evicted,” she recounted.

Chin was familiar with Paws Between Homes (PBH), a nonprofit that provides foster services to pets whose owners are facing a housing crisis. Unfortunately, the cats’ owner resided outside PBH’s service area, so they could not help.

However, the incident opened Chin’s eyes to the widespread need for pet safety net fostering. PBH invited her to join its Steering Committee and learn more about the organization.

“[PHB has] been extremely supportive in helping me launch STF,” she added.

Overcrowding in local animal shelters is placing undue strain on county animal shelters, resulting in increased euthanasia rates in kill shelters while forcing traditionally non-kill shelters to reevaluate their euthanasia policies.

The mission of Stay Together Furever is to help reduce the number of pets being surrendered to local animal shelters by providing temporary foster homes for dogs and cats whose owners are facing a non-emergency crisis that could put their pets’ security or well-being at risk.

From left, Don Rorabaugh (STF Chief Technology Officer), Vicki Chin (STF Founder and CEO), and Kay Smarr (STF Board Secretary) at a 2023 benefit gala

Examples of applicable crisis situations include an eviction notice, a critical illness or a messy domestic breakup.

“Animal shelters are overrun with owner-surrendered pets, and overcrowding in animal shelters has led to a three-year spike in euthanasia rates,” Chin explained.

“I know first-hand that rescue groups are struggling to save as many lives as possible, but what I have learned from my 17 years in pet rescue is that we cannot simply rescue our way out of the animal shelter overcrowding problem,” she stated.

Through its network of foster homes, Stay Together Furever will provide up to ninety days of pet care. During that time, the non-profit will cover the costs of necessary veterinary services, including spaying or neutering, vaccinations and other routine medical care.

The goal is to reunite the pets with their loving owners. The non-profit is targeting the second quarter of 2024 to begin helping local-area families in need.

The non-profit will initially concentrate on assisting families residing in Peachtree Corners, Norcross, Duluth and Berkeley Lake.

Stay Together Furever is actively recruiting foster homes to provide short-term fostering of cats and dogs to local-area families in need.

If you are interested in becoming a short-term foster volunteer, email fostering@staytogetherfurever.org or visit www.staytogetherfurever.org/foster.

This 501(c)(3) non-profit also accepts monetary donations and gently used pet supplies. To help or for more information, visit www.staytogetherfurever.org or follow them on Facebook.

Trending

Exit mobile version