Community

Faces of Peachtree Corners- Jesse McMillan

Published

on

Photo by Bob Chadwick

This year has presented unprecedented challenges, but it has also given citizens of Peachtree Corners time to reflect on past successes, moments of joy and the things that make this city great. The city has many wonderful features to offer, chiefly technological advancement, business development and scholastic excellence. Yet Peachtree Corners’ most valuable resource continues to be the people that live, work and thrive within its borders.

Jesse McMillan

Coach McMillan, his wife Elizabeth, and two children — Elyse and Mason — are long-time Norcross and Peachtree Corners residents. McMillan has been Head Coach for Boys Basketball at Norcross High School (NHS) for 11 years, and a teacher and coach at Norcross for 20 years.

His Norcross teams participate in showcases and invitationals across the nation. During his time as head coach, NHS won two state titles (2011, 2013) and finished state runner-up in 2017 and 2018.

McMillan grew up in a family of educators and knew early on that teaching and coaching was something he wanted to do. He is successful, in part, because he holds the players to a high standard and evolves the program from being “coach-led” to “player-led”, empowering the team to make suggestions and hold each other accountable. Coach McMillan has been recognized in the Gwinnett Daily Post as showing “a great ability to build chemistry [among the players].”

Of course, his greatest pride is not in the scoreboard or his own personal achievements, but the student athletes he mentors. I’m most proud of the young men who have come out of program to represent Norcross High School and our community,” McMillan said. “We have alumni who have graduated from some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country. We have professional athletes, lawyers, ministers, educators, military personnel, etc. that have worn a Blue Devil jersey. Those young men mean more to me than any trophy or win.”

His fondest athletics moments and most satisfying victories are Final Four and State Championship victories and memorable playoff wins versus Pebblebrook (2017), McEachern (2018) and Grayson (2019). Those games stand out because the team rose up against great odds and competed at the highest level.

He said he’s also a bit superstitious; he makes sure to use his lucky pencil to fill out the scorebook at each game.

McMillian is one of four honorees joining the NHS Foundation for Excellence Hall of Fame this year. “When I was told of my selection, I really didn’t expect it. Even though this is year 20 for me, it still feels like my first year. Time really has flown by and I think that goes to show how much I love my job and Norcross High School,” he said. “To be included with so many wonderful people is a true honor and one that I will appreciate very much.”

Portions of this profile were adapted from norcrosshighfoundation.org/honoree/jesse-mcmillan/.

Trending

Exit mobile version