Arts & Literature

Mary Buck-Photographer, Part of Five Stories to Brighten Our Spirits

Published

on

Mary Buck embarked on a Backyard Bird Adventure during Covid-19. (Photo courtesy of Jennifer Hinton.)

The Bright Side of Lockdown in Peachtree Corners

We can all relate to the surreal feeling brought on by the coronavirus as we struggled with being caught in this bizarre new world that was difficult to believe yet impossible to ignore. We couldn’t help but feel shocked as it unfolded — it was unprecedented — although there had been a dreadful buzz in the air heading straight for us from miles away.

As our nation is sieged with controversy, climbing death rates, trepidation and uncertainty, I wanted to find some uplifting, local COVID-19 stories that would serve to brighten our spirits. This is part 3 of 5 stories to be posted.

A pre-pandemic day for Photographer Mary Buck would’ve included going to her Duluth studio, Lightscapes Portrait Studio, just outside of Peachtree Corners.

In business since 2001, Buck’s industry has evolved over the years. On the schedule: corporate headshot appointments, personal branding shoots destined for social media, the occasional family or children’s portraits — seemingly becoming a thing of the past — and teaching a macro photography class to teenagers and adults of varying levels.

A Little Birdie Told Me, “Life as We Know it Has Changed!”

In March, I found myself captivated by Buck’s bird photographs. A whole slew of them brightened up my social media feed amidst the gloom and doom of the horrors going on around us. A bit of a bird enthusiast myself, I couldn’t help but notice the delightful subjects of Buck’s Facebook and Instagram posts.

“I was really in shock like everyone else. How could this happen? Where did this come from? There were so many unknowns. I was a little scared in the beginning. Probably because I watched too much news,” Buck admitted. Luckily for us, she also asked herself, ‘How can I make something good of this?’

A Downsize and COVID-19 Induced Refocus

While the compulsion to hide under the sheets, or snack on inordinate amounts of food got the better of most of us, Buck used the time to really take notice of the tiniest creatures in her own backyard — the wild birds.

The move from the suburbs to an intown home gave Buck a more up close and personal view of the wildlife in her yard. Coupled with the new “stay at home” lifestyle to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Buck spent the early days of March decorating her yard with a birdfeeder, a hummingbird feeder and a birdbath.

Goldfinch – A Burst of Sunshine

“I started to sit out on the back patio,” Buck shared. “It was just gorgeous. We had such beautiful spring weather this year. Little by little, I saw birds coming. I could not believe it: cardinals, yellow birds, robins, then birds I had never seen before started showing up. I had never really paid any attention to them.”

Ornithologist Wannabe

Her artistic eye could not ignore this silver lining. As she studied her feathered friends, she became more and more fascinated with them.

Using an app, Buck has been able to identify all but two species and in so doing, learned more about their instincts and behaviors. “I take pictures with my Canon 80D crop sensor camera and the Tamron 18-400mm lens. With the crop sensor, I’m getting a focal point of 640mm; it’s awesome, so sharp,” she said.

Female Cardinal – My Girl.
(Photos courtesy of Mary Buck)

“I quickly grew this vocabulary: There’s a song sparrow. There’s a female cardinal — she’s one of the few female birds who sing. Did you know that? I have a mockingbird nest on my front porch. The mourning doves started to come; just bird after bird.”

Birds on Film

It seems the birds are willing participants in Buck’s new hobby. “I really think the same female cardinal comes by every day. I think she knows me now. She sits not more than 20 feet from me, and she looks at me, making faces — looks at me straight in the eye. She’ll tilt her head. It’s almost like she’s posing for a portrait for me. Chin up, chin down, asymmetrical shoulders, asymmetrical hips, she’s posing for me!”

Buck’s enthusiasm for her chirping models is palpable in both her photographs and her words, “The birdbath is not a myth. They go in there, they dip. I get some great shots when they shake and I capture the water, frozen, using a fast shutter speed.”

Robin_Saturday night bath after a long flight

Undoubtedly hatching up a plan to photograph her front porch babies coming soon, she predicted, “When they come, you’ll know! They built the nest on Mother’s Day. I thought that was a good sign. I check on her constantly. I chase the gardeners away when they come around with their loud equipment. This is a bird sanctuary. I’m taking this very seriously.”

Stop and Hear the Birds

“They’re just birds, but they’re really one of God’s greatest creations,” Buck said. She credits the pandemic with “opening up her eyes.” Rather than getting mired in online disputes, she seized the opportunity to reveal her newfound appreciation for birds. “I wanted to share a learned skill on social media rather than ask, “Did you wear your mask today?” I just didn’t want to go there,” she explained.

It’s about “… putting out something that others could see, expect. Something that would make people feel good,” Buck said. Not surprisingly, people have gravitated to her content. She’s amazed by the response she has received.

What’s a Pandemic Without Zoom?

In response to inquiries, Buck held a little workshop recently on her Backyard Bird Adventures, “… a 15-minute slide show to answer questions and give some ideas on composition.” Watch the YouTube video at youtube.com/watch?v=JiMrjWBm1wM.

To view her work, visit 1-mary-buck.pixels.com. Her bird photos will be available once she has completed her post-process workflow and is satisfied that they reflect her unique style. Buck plans to leave the birds unaltered, making sure they remain the focus, but she may add some watercolor backgrounds, jagged edges and water paint drops, for example. “This project will marry my love of photography, my new love of birds, and my old love of Photoshop,” she said.

A new member, Buck looks forward to excursions with the Audubon Society once meetings are permitted again. Until there’s a return to more normalcy, you’ll find her capturing the personality and vibrant plumage of her garden visitors.

“I get up in the morning and I just can’t wait to go out with my cup of coffee and see the birds. The morning light is really nice because it’s in their face so I can get the little glint in their eye,” Buck said.

At night she goes out with wine, but that’s another story…

Trending

Exit mobile version