Community

Backyard Escapes Pt 1: Enter the Enchanting Garden of Sean and Andrea Purdy in Neely Farm

Published

on

On a quiet cul-de-sac in Peachtree Corners hides a garden worthy of being booked for weddings, portraits and movie sets. It’s a backyard that could easily be right out of Veranda, the magazine.

It’s hard to believe that koi fish enthusiast Sean Purdy didn’t really have a plan for his impressive yard when he and his family moved in five years ago, aside from providing a home for his 14 pet fish.

Sean and Andrea Purdy. Photos by Patrizia Winsper

Yet the koi pond, surrounded by Japanese maples and a pagoda statue, with its beautiful stone work, the soothing sound of water making its way down a tiered waterfall spilling into it, was just the first of many increasingly ambitious projects the Purdys have been working on since their move to “The Farm,” as Neely neighbors like to call it. “It’s a lot of work, but a lot of fun,” Sean said.

The koi are certainly thriving; they’re startlingly large. “They only grow as large as their environment and their breeding allow,” Sean said. These are big fish in a large pond.

A brainstorming session with Landscape Architect Steve Brewer resulted in the design of the magnificent lily pond. “He designed the shape of the wall. I came up with all the materials,” Sean recalled.

Perched above the lily pond, water splashes from the mouth of a koi fish being held by a standing young boy, a friendly turtle at his feet. It’s a life size, antique bronze fountain, circa 1870, a favorite find at a Roswell antique shop.

After the construction of the ponds, the surrounding landscaping was developed giving careful thought to a garden for all seasons.

To Every Time and Season Some Beauty of Its Own

“Different plants bloom at different times and seasons. You figure out when their blooming period is and incorporate them, so there’s always something blooming,” Sean shared.

A palette of pink, purple and white intermixed with some red blooms comes to life in spring: peonies, irises, hydrangeas.

Andrea pointed out a heavily blooming area in the garden and as if on cue, the daintiest of insects flitted about, attracted to the summer flowers which will bloom into fall. “It’s just beautiful; I love the butterfly garden,” Andrea said.

The purple and yellow water lilies appear too perfect to be real, yet avid gardener Sean pointed out, “There should be more lilies. They’re not all blooming right this minute.” I couldn’t imagine a more beautiful spectacle.

To delight in the fall: “The camelias will be blooming soon; they’re budding up right now,” Sean said. Then the Lenten roses, with their evergreen foliage and winter blossoms will appear.

A gravel pathway and stone staircase wind around the garden to a round clearing projected to become an additional patio with rose-covered trellis. Sean built the charming garden shed last year.

Pandemic Relief — Backyards for the Win

Andrea has hosted a few book club meetings around the fire pit, which lends itself nicely to social distancing.

Safe visits with her elderly mom are also ideal here. “We can sit and chat outside. I get a chance to enjoy it much more than Sean,” Andrea jested.

Gardening Is a Work of Heart

Sean cites constant weeding and trimming. He’s had to relocate some plants. “The soil conditions here are really not that great. We’re on sandy clay. It doesn’t percolate very well,” Sean said.

This garden oasis is an ongoing passion. “There’s one last stage I need to take care of,” Sean affirmed, but we don’t believe him.

Trending

Exit mobile version