Community

Backyard Escapes Pt. 3: Keith and Tina James Dig Their Garden in Riverview Estates

Published

on

An unassuming façade conceals a spectacular retreat in this established neighborhood. For 17 years, Keith and Tina James have appreciated the resort-like backyard of their 1977 home built on a near acre lot, close to the Atlanta Country Club.

Keith and Tina James

When inside, they and their little dogs, Sophie and Max, can delight in the views of this attractive yard from windows spanning the back of the house. Keith shared, “Every morning I say, ‘Wow!’”

When they first discovered this house, it had been on the market for a year and was in a run-down, overgrown state. “The pool had a huge bullfrog in it. We could see through that. It felt like Callaway Gardens, but private. We have this huge fence all around. It was like our own little piece of Heaven to nurture,” Tina said.

“It needed a lot of TLC, but all the bones were there. We love plants so we spent a lot of time at nurseries adding new plants here and there — ferns, hostas, potato vines and the Sago Palms around the pool. We ended up with what we have now,” Keith said.

A jasmine covered gate opens up to a sprawling garden surrounded by mature trees. The focal point: a sparkling pool of turquoise colored water. The light blue lounge chairs on the pool surround add to the vacation getaway vibe. The deck, fire pit, pond and patio areas are nestled among crepe myrtles, magnolias, Japanese maples, rhododendrons, azaleas, camelias and hydrangeas.

Blue pots spilling with begonias and ivy line the wooden deck and walkway. Giant ferns growing near the pergola create a lush, jungle-like ambiance. Blueberries are there for the picking if one can get to them before the squirrels.

Pandemic Relief — Backyards for the Win

“It’s a relaxing place, like a destination. People would drive somewhere to go have a relaxing weekend in a setting like this — and we’ve got it every day. We use it that way all the time,” Keith said.

Tina, who normally works 14-hour days in an office, has been able to work from home. “It’s been the biggest blessing. I haven’t spent this much time at home since I was growing up. I take breaks and go outside. The dogs get out more because I’m here. It was so wonderful to enjoy this backyard.

“Keith had family come in from out of town,” she continued. “We had our meals outside so we wouldn’t be too close. Even in this large house, it’s too close inside.”

Gardening Is a Work of Heart

After drawing inspiration from magazines, Tina purchases carloads of plants and flowers to plant in all the pots each spring. “It looks like I know what I’m doing,” Tina laughed.

Keith maintains the bushes and everything in the backyard himself. There are tree limbs, leaves and tiny crepe myrtle flowers to pick up and blow off throughout the week. “It’s amazing the difference you feel when you walk out and everything is blown off. It feels wonderful,” Keith said.

The pool liner was changed once. Routine maintenance is required on the pumps. “We got a pool cover but never use it. We love looking out and seeing that beautiful view all year,” Keith said.’

The Jameses share their outdoor space with squirrels, chipmunks, red foxes, hawks and owls. They adore the blue heron fly-bys.

Trending

Exit mobile version