Community

Faces of Peachtree Corners- Khadijah Akbar

Published

on

This year has presented unprecedented challenges, but it has also given citizens of Peachtree Corners time to reflect on past successes, moments of joy and the things that make this city great. The city has many wonderful features to offer, chiefly technological advancement, business development and scholastic excellence. Yet Peachtree Corners’ most valuable resource continues to be the people that live, work and thrive within its borders.

Studio photos by George Hunter

Khadijah Akbar

Khadijah Akbar is a senior at Norcross High School with ambitions to attend law school and become an intellectual property lawyer. “I want to be an intellectual property lawyer to protect the ideas of the individual,” she explained. “After undergrad, I want to go to law school and study intellectual property law. I am very interested in law and computer science, and patent law incorporates both.”

This intelligent young woman already has some educational experience in front of the bench as a veteran in the Mock Trial program. Akbar has competed as an attorney for four years, and as a lead attorney for two of those years. She has coached and assisted underclassmen in the “courtroom,” and this past year, NHS advanced to the state competition for the first time.

Akbar has also been involved in High School Democrats of Gwinnett as a Norcross Representative. She taught students how to register to vote, collected and reported a political census of her school and campaigned for State House District 52-elect Shea Roberts.

Akbar’s strong passion for justice presents itself in diligent service to the Peachtree Corners community. As a volunteer at the Peachtree Corners Library, she has assisted in shelving books, signing up library patrons for the summer reading program and answering questions about it, reading to children and organizing summer events.

“The Peachtree Corners Library has so many opportunities to help and be a part of your community; I think it is a part of the foundation that makes this city so great,” Akbar said. “I hope I can be a part of a system that supports its community in the same way when I am older.”

Other interests of Akbar’s include the art of henna, the Science Honor Society and learning languages — both linguistic and programming.

Trending

Exit mobile version