Community

Walk with a Purpose with Ausomewalkies

Published

on

Ashley Dudley with mom Dee Dudley, dubbed “Mom-ager” for her assistance with Ausomewalkies and keeping its roll information. (Dudley’s photos from Facebook.)

With the ever-compounding stresses of post-2020 life, no one should have to walk alone. But for people on the autism spectrum, initiating and maintaining meaningful social interactions and relationships can be fraught with anxiety and pitfalls.

Peachtree Corners surrounding area resident Ashley Dudley is all too familiar with the struggles of autistic adults, so she decided to do something constructive about it. Last year, Dudley began Ausomewalkies, a casual walking group for people on the autism spectrum to enjoy nature together and each other’s company while improving social skills.

“I wanted to share my experience in a way that other autistic adults would understand. Also, a lot of autistic adults have a hard time socializing in general, so I thought this would be a great way to not only get exercise but make friends,” Dudley said.

The walks are usually held at Brook Run Park in Dunwoody, keeping to pretty much the same walking path each time for those who like the routine. Currently the walks are on pause due to COVID-19 concerns, but they will resume once it makes sense to do so.

Dudley has participated in various panels discussing autism Awareness and has shared her journey as an African American woman on the spectrum publicly with groups such as Autism Speaks.

Dudley was diagnosed as an adult with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which most likely contributed to learning challenges as she was growing up. She disclosed she was often bullied by peers in school due to having to be in special education classes. But she uses these experiences to help relate to and advocate for others with ASD.

“My goal is to become the next major motivational speaker and advocate for adults with autism, especially ones who were diagnosed later in Iife like I was,” Dudley said.

Ausomewalkies has brought together a great bunch of positive people who not only work to accept their ASD, but to embrace it. Sometimes parents, caregivers and friends will accompany loved ones for support.

Ausomewalkers share their experiences

Andrew Dixon

“My name is Andrew Dixon and I enjoy these autism walks with Ashley and the crew because I feel like I’m having fun with these people; plus I get to keep up and follow up with what’s going on in my life like what’s going on in the past week or month. Thanks, Ashley,” Ausomewalker Dixon said.

Mimi Sapra

Mimi Sapra of Alpharetta is a Support Coordinator at CareNow Services in Roswell. Her job responsibilities include billing-related work such as patient encounter reviewing and data entry of patient referral processing and demographics.

“My reasons to join Ausomewalkies is to socialize with everybody, have a nice change of scenery and have positive conversations with friends about pleasant topics that bring happiness and joy. Ausomewalkies also gives me the opportunity to promote autism awareness and acceptance,” Sapra said.

“They are a good example of spreading autism awareness. It shows that even though we learn things a little differently from others, we can still be able to do things,” Ausomewalker Justin Bentley said about the group. “Going on Ausomewalkies is a good way to get a good workout in and make new friends. What a perfect way to bring autistics closer together!”

Justin Bentley

Dudley is proud of the success of the walks and hopes to bring the Ausomewalkers together again as soon as it makes sense and to make the walks a resource for more people to enjoy. For more information on Ausomewalkies, please contact Ashley Dudley at ashypoo.ad@gmail.com

Trending

Exit mobile version